Monday, 23 September 2013

Blog Reflection 2

Lesson one: Today's lesson focused on narrative. We learnt about narrative devices and the effects they have on the audience. For instance, we looked at the music video for Carly Rae Jepson’s song called ‘call me maybe’. This text wrongly leads (Red herring) the audience into thinking that the girl will get her crush, however at the last minute there is a comic twist, because it turns out her crush is gay. Lastly, we looked deeply into Todarov’s theory and how it was applied in Robbie William’s music video for his song ‘She’s the one’. Below shows how the narrative structure was used in this text.

Equilibrium: The skating duo is successful and they are winning competitions.

Disruption: The male skater breaks his leg.

Protagonist recognises disruption: The coach (Robbie William’s) realises he needs a replacement and this is when the device of a flashback is used to highlight the coach as a child skating and how he was not good when it came to competitions.

Problem is solved: The coach gets over his fear and steps in as the male skater.

Equilibrium is restored: The new skating duo win the competition and got amazing high scores!



Lesson two: Today's lesson focused on tasks that needed to be completed. So, I started altering my blog posts from year 12, making sure they were of good standard. Then I moved on and started looking for the lyrics of my chosen artist – Cinnamon Brown, which luckily found online. Then lastly, I found her song links on YouTube and linked in the song I hope to use.


Lesson three: In today’s lesson, I carried on with work set from the previous lesson. I started my beachcombing blog post, by finding music videos that have interesting elements which could possibly be used in my music video.

Lesson four: Today's lesson was cancelled however I utilised my free time to complete work that had been set previously. So, i focused at getting the lyrics of my chosen song - I had to listen to the song and copy down the lyrics myself since the artist didn't send me a copy and there was not any available online available (http://kalkidanbrook7.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/song-lyrics.html).

What did analysing the lyrics help your understanding of your chosen artist?

Analysing the lyrics taught me a lot about my artist. I noticed how the lyrics talked about a serious subject matter - cheating. She describes its effects on her ("you got me stressed and so messed up"). This connotes how the artist is an individual that has experienced a lot in her lifetime and is not scared to talk about her situations to the audience. This appeals to the target audience because if someone has gone trough a similar issue they can personally relate to her and feel like someone finally understands them.

Even though the song talks about a touchy subject the tempo of the music is still upbeat and the lyrics hold so much attitude. It's evident she is angry and this connotes how she is a diva because she's doesn't hold back.

No comments:

Post a Comment